The Alan C Walker Award for Public Architecture, 2011
The reinvigoration of Ogilvie High School, New Town originally conceived by Sydney Blythe in 1937, is deftly handled by the team at Liminal Architecture. The new Student Centre contemporises the relationships between space and education and encourages new ways of learning. The Centre identifies informal peer-based activities and socialisation as critical to overall learning outcomes. The architecture is stitched and woven into an existing campus to provide a focus for student gathering and connection to outdoor activities. Colour is boldly and deftly chosen to unite and harmonise buildings from many periods. The new works bring together and opportunistically utilise previously disused space, but remain bold and distinctive in their posture, cascading down the topography, connecting students to outdoor areas. The roof forms lift to accentuate places of gathering and learning and gesture to the oval and the borrowed landscape beyond. This is the work of creative architects who have understood the delicacy of intervention in a mature and functioning facility with layers of building and educational history. Their work is sensitive and bold and has delivered new life and created a centre for the school, while symbolising contemporary teaching and learning.